Sichuan-Style Chile Oil by D.K.
- 1 ½-2 cups vegetable oil * high smoke point like canola, safflower or grapeseed
- 3/4 cup crushed chile flakes (pizza place flakes, crushed Thai, or Sichuan chile flakes)
- 2 tbs gochugaru (coarse ground Korean chile)
- ½-1 tbs hot chile powder (ghost, scorpion, reaper, etc.)
- ½-1 tbs freshly ground Sichuan peppercorn
- ½-1 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- ½ tsp roasted sesame oil
- Mason Jars
- Place 3/4 cup of desired chile flakes in a bone-dry ceramic or glass bowl (make sure the bowl is dry and at room temp or warmer.)
- Heat oil over medium high heat to around 225F with bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and star anise. When they start to sizzle remove
- Carefully pour hot oil over chile flakes and stir with a metal spoon
- When sizzling subsides, around 1-2 minutes, add additional chile flakes/powder, Sichuan peppercorns, and salt. Stir.
- Let cool for around 10 minutes then dash with roasted sesame oil. Stir.
- Store in glass mason jar.
Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. If oil is too hot the chile flakes and other ingredients will burn. Microwave empty bowl for a minute or so if needed before making.