How to make quick and easy Tex Mex tacos at home
For years I struggled to find a decent taco seasoning mix that both tasted good and was sufficiently spicy to suit my needs. After years of research I have finally come up with the best taco seasoning, but feel free to experiment with the ratios of the ingredients below to suit your tastes.
In this recipe I will show you how to create easy and quick ground beef or chicken tacos right in your own home. So throw away those pre-packaged spice mixes that contain all those additives, you now have a DIY taco mix you can create on the go.
You will need the following:
- 1lb ground beef, turkey, or chicken
- 2 tsp chile powder
- 2-4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp corn starch (for thickening)
- 1/2-2/3 cup water.
- 4-6 flour tortillas or hard taco shells depending upon preference.
Making these Tex Mex style tacos at home is super easy. In 5 easy steps you can have fresh and spicy tacos for your family.
- Combine all of your dry ingredients into a bowl and then add water, mix well, and set aside.
- Preheat a skillet and brown your meat thoroughly
- After meat is browned, keep your heat on high and add in the seasoning mix you prepared in step one.
- Continue to heat until mixture thickens until your desired consistency.
- Plate up and enjoy! Be sure to top off with your favorite taco sauce!