How to Make Delicious Southern Style Spicy Country Sausage Gravy
Do you want to learn how to make delicious spicy sausage gravy?
Look no further! This country style sausage gravy recipe will get you where you need to be in no time! Fill your belly with delicious sausage gravy for breakfast and get energy for your day! Did you know that sausage gravy is also known as Shit on a Shingle or SOS? Now you do!
For this delicious country style breakfast you will only need 7 ingredients!
- 1 lb hot or mild Italian Sausage or any other type of loose sausage
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1.5 cups of hot milk (microwave until its hot)
- 1-2 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1-2 tbsp of HornetBOMB Hot Sauce
1. The first step in creating this awesomely spicy sausage gravy is to fry up your sausage until browned over medium-high to high heat.
2. While your sausage is browning, you will want to microwave your milk until it is hot (but not boiling!) and then you will add your salt, chipotle powder, and half of your black pepper.
3. This is what your sausage should look like after being browned. At this point turn your heat down to medium.
4. After your sausage has been browned, you will want to evenly disperse 1 tablespoon or so of flour over the sausage to soak up the grease. This creates a very basic roux which will thicken our milk giving us delicious and savory country style sausage gravy.
5. As you can see, the sausage fats have been bound with the flour.
6. Turn the heat back up to medium high. At this point we will begin adding our warm/hot milk. Be careful as it will immediately begin to thicken.
7. Keep adding more milk slowly until it's all incorporated. Add in the second half of your black pepper and mix in well. At this point you can turn off the heat if you have reached your desired consistency
8. This is what your sausage gravy should look like when it's complete!
9. To eat this down home treat, you'll want to serve it over toast or over freshly baked biscuits and top with HornetBOMB hot sauce to bring up the heat to acceptable levels